North East’s first-ever specialized “Ginger” Processing Plant in Meghalaya being revived
- North East’s first-ever specialised “Ginger” Processing Plant at district Ri-Bhoui in Meghalaya is being revived and is likely to become functional in the beginning of 2021.
- The Plant is located at the Export Promotion Industrial Park (EPIP), Raja Bhagan, Byrnihat Hatt.
- It will process ginger and help in preparing products like waxed ginger, ginger paste, ginger powder, ginger flakes, ginger oil etc.
- Significantly ginger has attained a place of prominence in recent months because of its reported properties as an immunity booster against COVID-19 Virus.
- The ginger products being prepared from this Plant will be available for domestic consumption and will be able to meet the Global demand as well.
- This will also be in keeping with Prime Minister Modi’s calls for “Vocal for Local”.
- For the PPP mode, an Operation and Maintenance Operator was selected through the tendering process and the work on setting up and reviving the Plant is under progress.
- North Eastern Region of India produces about 450,000 Metric Ton of high-quality ginger every year but most of it is sold at a lower price due to lack of processing and cold storage facilities.
- The Plant at Meghalaya will give the much-needed facility to the ginger growers.
- They will be able to use their capacities and at the same time optimally utilize the natural resources.
- There is also a plan to set up 100 new fresh retail points in Northeast and Fruit Kiosks at Guwahati and other major towns of the North Eastern Region.
- Most of these will be in the PPP mode.