India commences exports of Moringa powder
- India commences exports of Moringa powder, keeping in mind the rising global demand, because of its nutritional properties.
- In a bid to promote Moringa (botanical name Moringa oleifera) products exports from India, APEDA has been supporting private entities in creating necessary infrastructure.
- With more Moringa processing units being created through support of APEDA, the exports would be increasing in the next few years which would bring benefits to the farmers.
- Moringa has been used for centuries due to its medicinal properties and health benefits in various forms.
- Globally, the demand for Moringa products, such as Moringa Leaf Powder and Moringa Oil, has been witnessing healthy growth.
- Moreover, international organizations and institutions are exploring the best ways on how to use Moringa as a nutritional supplement and in food fortification.
- There are several species of Moringa across the world.
- Its usage has been well received among the global consumers for its nutritional, medicinal, culinary uses.
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority
- It is an apex body under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, responsible for the export promotion of agricultural products.
- APEDA was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act passed by the Parliament in December, 1985.
Functions of APEDA
- Promotion of exports of agricultural and processed food products. Promotion of export oriented production and development of the Scheduled products.
- To make Improvement in numerous areas such as packaging, marketing for the Scheduled products outside India.
- Setting standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports.
- Financial assistance, reliefs and subsidy to the relating industries.
- To provide training in the related areas